THE ALASKAN ADVENTURE Day 15, 16 & 17 May 31, June 1 & 2, 2009 Denali National Park, Ak

Sunday was spent grocery shopping, doing laundry and reorganizing for our stint in Denali National Park. Once the chores were done we headed to Denali along hwy # 3 ( George Parks Highway )which goes from Fairbanks to Anchorage. We noticed not long out of Fairbanks the foliage was greener and a lot lusher which was probably due to the altitude as we started to climb into the foothills.



The drive was quite nice but nothing like the last five miles as we wound our way through a canyon which is nicknamed the wind canyon. The vistas through this canyon were unbelievable but with the wind blowing the way it was I didn't stop for any pictures. I will return.

We checked in at Riley Creek Campground in the park and as we were looking for a campsite we came across a mother moose and her calf. She had recently came into this area to give birth.

We were informed that a moose that had been collared and tracked had come back into this area for 37 years to give birth. In fact they believe the adult moose in the picture would be her granddaughter. They come down into the populated area to give birth as they feel safer dealing with the people as opposed to the Grizzly Bears.


The next day Kathy decided to make a batch of her famous chicken stew so I went for a 4 mile hike with a stop at the visitors center. I followed a river ( not sure which one ) for quite awhile before coming to the visitors centre and train depot. Nearly 2600 people a day come into Denali via train, most of them coming up from the Cruise ships.








































During my hike I came to a hill that had me puffing and panting by the time I reached the top so I found a nice flat rock to sit on. I was enjoying being able to breath easier when I saw movement in the woods in front of me. I stayed very quiet and very still and continued to watch the area where the noise came from. Suddenly I noticed this fellow staring at me from the bush.

He just watched for a bit and then sauntered off.


On Tuesday we had to check out of the park to head to a RV park as we had our mail forwarded to us. However before we left the park we drove the park road as far as we could which was 15 miles. The speed limit is 25 miles per hour and with the stops the trip took a little over 3 hours.

I cannot begin to describe the beauty, serenity and raw strength of Denali National Park. Many times during this drive all we could say was WOW. We could not take pictures of every gorgeous vista but we did take a lot.





















Not sure if these two pictures are Mt. Mc Kinley or not. Have to have them checked out.






























Once we completed the drive we stopped for lunch and then did a bit of window shopping in the little town at the entrance to the park. We got milk ( $ 5.00 for 2 quarts or 1.89 liters ) and propane ( 4.25 a gallon ) before heading to the RV park and settling in for the night.
Tomorrow we are heading back into the park to do a little hiking and sightseeing.
Animal Count for the day.
Moose 6
Fox 1




No comments: