THE ALASKAN ADVENTURE Day 12, 13 & 14 May 28, 29, 30, 2009 Chena River Hot Springs, Ak

Thursday morning we headed for Chena River Hot Springs which is about 60 miles east of Fairbanks.

We decided to camp at the resort where the hot springs are even though it was dry camping. The campground was quite nice, secluded with lots of trees and the best part was that it was not busy.
We didn't hit the hot springs the first day instead opting for a hike along a nature trail. Kathy kept bugging me until I went but I am not sure why I had to carry an open honey jar.
However we enjoyed the hike without spotting any of the local wildlife. We topped the evening off with a nice meal which we ate outdoors and an evening fire ( with marshmellows )
The next day was overcast for the entire day and raining for a good part of it. With the rain Kathy decided to stay close to the camper so I hit the hot springs by myself. My first dip was about 7:30 in the morning and I had the entire lake to myself, it was extremely peaceful.
After a nice breakfast and a long nap I headed back to the hot springs for an afternoon soak.
Needless to say I slept very well that night ( about 10 hours)
On Sunday we hit the hot springs before breakfast and enjoyed about an hour soak. We then returned back to the campsite for a large breakfast of sausage ( on the BBQ ) french toast and eggs. Yummy. After breakfast we broke camp and got the camper ready to go and checked out of our campsite.. However before we left we parked and went back in for one last soak.
The next step was to head for Fairbanks so that we could do laundry, shopping and just getting ready for our 10 day stay in Denali National Park.






Kathy found a couple of new friends on our nature hike











Alaskan Christmas Tree

Gravel runway at the resort for the bush pilots.

1 comment:

Rick and Peggy Howard said...

Looks like your getting lots of sleep(REQUIRED BY OLD PEOPLE)